- 副词 (Adverb)
- At an earlier time.
- All this was extraordinarily distasteful to Churchill. It was ugly, gross. Never before had he felt such repulsion when the vicar displayed his characteristic bluntness or coarseness of speech. In the present connexion—or rather as a transition from the subject that started their conversation—such talk had been distressingly out of place.
- In advance.
- At the front end.
- 连词 (Conjunction)
- in advance of the time when.
- INF rather or sooner than.
- 介系词 (Preposition)
- Earlier than (in time).
- I want this done before Monday.
- In front of in space.
- He stood before me.
- We sat before the fire to warm ourselves.
- In the presence of.
- He performed before the troops in North Africa.
- He spoke before a joint session of Congress.
- Under consideration, judgment, authority of (someone).
- The case laid before the panel aroused nothing but ridicule.
- In store for, in the future of (someone).
- In front of, according to a formal system of ordering items.
- In alphabetical order, "cat" comes before "dog", "canine" before feline".
- At a higher or greater position in a ranking.
- An entrepreneur puts market share and profit before quality, an amateur intrinsic qualities before economical considerations.
- We snaffled up all the chips before Jeff came to the table.
- He pulled out his gun before she had a chance to scream.
- The workers struck for a week before the new contract went through.
- Before this time, the analytical phase was the main point of focus but it has become clear that the pre- and postanalytical phases are much more vulnerable than previously expected.
- Before it could be cleaned properly it was necessary to take it to pieces.
- Before you resize and resave a bunch of files at once, try this procedure on just one contact photo first to see if it fixes the problem.
- I was not born yesterday, you know. I have done this before!
- I have prayed for strength for such a duty, and find it come off as weakly and dead-heartedly as before.
- The next morning he much regretted the gusto with which he had wassailed the night before.
Meaning of before for the defined word.
- 词类阶层 (Part-of-Speech Hierarchy)
困难度: 级别 1
容易 ➨ 困难
明确性: 级别 9
明确的 ➨ 多用途
- en beforehand
- en beforely
- en before't
- en beforesaid
- en beforelife