- 副词 (Adverb)
- At an earlier time.
- All this was extraordinarily distasteful to Churchill. It was ugly, gross. Never before had he felt such repulsion when the vicar displayed his characteristic bluntness or coarseness of speech. In the present connexion—or rather as a transition from the subject that started their conversation—such talk had been distressingly out of place.
- In advance.
- At the front end.
- 连词 (Conjunction)
- in advance of the time when.
- INF rather or sooner than.
- 介系词 (Preposition)
- Earlier than (in time).
- I want this done before Monday.
- In front of in space.
- He stood before me.
- We sat before the fire to warm ourselves.
- In the presence of.
- He performed before the troops in North Africa.
- He spoke before a joint session of Congress.
- Under consideration, judgment, authority of (someone).
- The case laid before the panel aroused nothing but ridicule.
- In store for, in the future of (someone).
- In front of, according to a formal system of ordering items.
- In alphabetical order, "cat" comes before "dog", "canine" before feline".
- At a higher or greater position in a ranking.
- An entrepreneur puts market share and profit before quality, an amateur intrinsic qualities before economical considerations.
- To ensure that there are no leaks, clean the surfaces before you reseat the valve.
- Lines were long at the polling stations here well before morning had unscrolled its first light.
- Then, before he could react, she leaned over and hit him twice, cross-handedly, across his face, once with each hand, open-handed .
- Before we start the project, let's just run over who is doing what.
- Before taking the project to the CEO, let's make sure we dot the i's and cross the t's.
- Before pooling, we applied a vincentisation procedure (see Results for more details) to normalise reaction times across subjects.
- Dan certainly has arms today, probably from scraping paint off four columns the day before.
- I have prayed for strength for such a duty, and find it come off as weakly and dead-heartedly as before.
- I was not born yesterday, you know. I have done this before!
Meaning of before for the defined word.
- 词类阶层 (Part-of-Speech Hierarchy)
困难度: 级别 1
容易 ➨ 困难
明确性: 级别 9
明确的 ➨ 多用途
- en beforehand
- en before't
- en beforely
- en beforeness
- en beforelife