- 名词 (Noun)PLpopes
- (Roman Catholicism and generally) An honorary title of the Roman Catholic bishop of Rome as father and head of his church.
- We often say, that every man has a pope in his belly.
- In þat yle dwelleth the Pope of hire lawe, þat þei clepen lobassy.
- Eche day there etyn in his court xii erchebeshopis and xx bishopis, and the patriak of Seynt Thomays is as here pope.
- This is the only piece in which the author has given a hint of his religion, by ridiculing the ceremony of burning the pope, and by mentioning with some indignation the inscription [ …]
- (Coptic Church) An honorary title of the Coptic bishop of Alexandria as father and head of his church.
- (Eastern Orthodoxy) An honorary title of the Orthodox bishop of Alexandria as father and head of his autocephalous church.
- (Christianity, historical) OBS Any bishop of the early Christian church.
- (Britain) The ruffe, a small Eurasian freshwater fish (Gymnocephalus cernua); others of its genus.
- (Britain regional, Cumberland, Cornwall, Devon, Scotland) The Atlantic puffin (Fratercula arctica).
- (US regional) The painted bunting (Passerina ciris).
- (rare) The red-cowled cardinal (Paroaria dominicana).
- (alcoholic beverages) Any mulled wine (traditionally including tokay) considered similar and superior to bishop.
- (Russian Orthodoxy) Alternative form of pop, a Russian Orthodox priest.
- (US, dialectal) OBS The whippoorwill (Caprimulgus vociferus).
- (US, dialectal, rare) The nighthawk (Chordeiles minor).
- 动词 (Verb)SGpopesPRpopingPT, PPpoped
- (intransitive or with 'it') To act as or like a pope.
- VI COL To convert to Roman Catholicism.
- Dr. Pope confirms my feels that the side is no better & the tenderness to the feel as great as when he was last here.
- And I don't give a fuck if calling the pope a motherfucker / means you unthinkingly brand me an unthinking apostate.
- 1875, W. E. (William Ewart) Gladstone, Speeches of Pope Pius IX. page 4 - It can hardly be policy, it must be a necessity of his nature, which prompts his incessant harangues.
- Watching Newstopia, I was cacking up - they kept flashing pictures of dracula during every item about the pope!
- The trembling trees, in every plain and wood, / Her fate remurmur to the silver flood. — Alexander Pope.
- Who dares think one thing, and another tell, / My heart detests him as the gates of hell. — Pope.
Meaning of pope for the defined word.
- 词类阶层 (Part-of-Speech Hierarchy)
困难度: 级别 1
容易 ➨ 困难
明确性: 级别 9
明确的 ➨ 多用途
- fr pope
- en popes
- fr popes
- fr poper
- fr popez